Located only 45 minutes from Perth, the Chittering Valley, tucked into the northern Darling Ranges of WA makes the perfect day trip or short stay destination.
Featuring an impressive array of vineyards, orchards, farms, wild flowers and historic town sites, there is plenty waiting for you to see and do around this charming picturesque gateway to Western Australia’s Wheatbelt region.
There are loads of year-round activities and events, which the whole family can enjoy, from walking trails, the Chittering Farm Flavour Trails, fruit picking, magnificent wildflower in the spring and delicious fresh fruit and veg stalls.
Here is out top 5 musts while visiting the Chittering Valley:
- Fruit picking, Markets & Fresh Fruit Stalls
No visit to the Chittering Valley is complete without experiencing the taste sensations of fresh fruit and vegetables, picked fresh on the Farm. At Golden Grove Orchard, specialise in year round citrus fruit picking – a wonderful day out for the whole family. Keep an eye out en-route for fresh fruit and veg stalls on the road side for some delcious local produce. The monthly Bindoon market is also a great pitstop.
- The Chittering Valley Wine Trail
There are some fantastic wineries in the region, with some stunning wines to taste. Pick up your guides and maps at the Chittering Visitor Centre, Bindoon
- Chittering Valley Driving Trails, Scenery and Wildflowers
Tourist Drive 359 runs from Bullsbrook through the Chittering Valley and joins back onto the Great Northern Hwy just before the township of Bindoon. It features some fantastic pitstops to pick fruit, buy fresh fruit and vegetables and dine on some delicious local produce.
Other scenic drives in the region are along Pioneer Drive for a beautiful view over Bindoon; through the hills of Mooliabeenee – along Wells Glover Road and Mooliabeenee Rds; Bindoon to Toodyay – along Julimar Road and coming back on Dewars Pool Road; Bindoon Moora Road from Bindoon to Wannamal.
In Western Australia’s wildflower season (July to October annually), make sure you don’t miss these vantage points:
- Great Northern Highway,
- Julimar Road,
- Dewars Pool Road,
- Reserve Road,
- Bindoon Moora Road to Wannamal;
- Chittering Road and Calingiri Road.
- Walking Trails
Walking trails abound in this neck of the woods and are a great way to explore the natural beauty of the region. With beautiful vineyards, pastures, paddocks and bush waiting for you, there are trails for all ages and fitness levels. Find out more at Visit Chittering.
- History, Art & CultureWe highly recommend a pitstop at Brockman Arts & Crafts Centre, which is home to some wonderful historic buidlings and artefacts, including the magnificent Old Road Board building, The Bindoon Heritage Museum, The Bindoon Arts and Crafts Group and the Bindoon Men’s Shed. Enderslea Farm and New Norcia Benedictine Community are also worth a visit to immerse yourself in the history of the region.
The Bindoon Arts & Crafts Gift Shop makes an interesting stop for unique, locally made items.